• Product
    Model
    Price
    Quantity

    You have no items in your cart.

Oregon Scientific – Smart Living

Smart Living - embracing innovations that help you live smarter, so you can be happier, healthier and more productive.

In the flurry of modern life, the search for richer, fuller experiences may be stymied by the incredible amount of stimuli we receive every day. At Oregon Scientific, we believe life should be lived smarter, not harder.

Founded in 1989 in Portland, USA, Oregon Scientific embraces innovations that contribute to people’s betterment and well-being. Oregon Scientific products do more than simply beautify our homes and offices – they enable us to pursue our personal goals for better health, better work and living spaces and better fulfilment in all we do.

When you purchase a Oregon Scientific product, you’re empowering your lifestyle with smart ideas that help you maximise your potential each day.

Oregon Scientifics’ products are made with innovation, precision and passion to bring fresh perspectives to every aspect of your daily life. We welcome you to peruse our catalogue and discover how our products enrich your living and working environment.

Download Product Catalogue

Image Helpison

Helpison Image

The Effects of UV Rays

Effects of UV RaysBright, shiny, and warm….we all enjoy a sunny day. The sun is more than just a source of light and heat. There are many more processes at work that we may not be able to see or feel.  As it happens, exposure to the sun carries a number of effects, which are both beneficial and harmful to our health. The trick is to enjoy it in moderation and to protect ourselves while we’re outdoors.


Benefits

Small amounts of UV (ultra violet) rays are beneficial for people and essential in the production of Vitamin D. Vitamin D strengthens our teeth and bones, as well as helping prevent disorders such as rickets and colon cancer.

UV radiation is also used to treat several diseases, including rickets, psoriasis, eczema and jaundice. This takes place under medical supervision and the benefits of treatment versus the risks of UV radiation exposure are a matter of clinical judgment.

 

Prolonged human exposure to solar UV radiation may result in acute and chronic health effects on the skin, eye and immune system.  Sunburn is the best-known acute effect of excessive UV radiation exposure. Over the longer term, UV radiation induces degenerative changes in cells of the skin, fibrous tissue and blood vessels leading to premature skin aging, photodermatoses and actinic keratoses. Another long-term effect is an inflammatory reaction of the eye. In the most serious cases, skin cancer and cataracts can occur.

Sunburn is indeed a prime example of what the sun is capable of and it is all down to radioactive energy known as ultraviolet light. Due to its short wavelength, it is invisible to the human eye but that doesn’t make it any less significant. UV rays are actually very powerful and we are fortunate to have our ozone layer as it only allows around 3% of the sun’s UV energy through. If you have ever suffered from sunburn then that should tell you just how vital it is that the other 97% doesn’t reach us.


Deterrants

Unfortunately UV rays can also prove to be quite harmful and it is all too easy to mistakenly overexpose yourself to them.

The most common problem is sunburn, which occurs when too much UV radiation is absorbed, which actually damages your DNA directly. The skin reddens and more often than not it is painful, as well as itchy. The skin can also peel or blister and you may also experience headaches, fever and nausea.

Of course, that’s if you’re lucky. If the radiation is really allowed to do some damage, it can lead to much worse skin conditions, most notably skin cancer.

UV rays are also very damaging to the eye, which is why sunglasses are encouraged so much. Getting the sun in your eyes may simply feel like a mere inconvenience but it doesn’t take much direct exposure to cause permanent, severe damage and too much can even cause blindness.

But this should in no way discourage you from going out and enjoying the sunshine. Like all luxuries in life it should be enjoyed responsibly and in moderation. The best way to do this is to stay hydrated, use a good sunblock, wear a decent pair of sunglasses and take regular breaks in the shade.

 


 

Go back to Smart Living Tips